Sheffield Wednesday have announced their squad numbers for the coming season.
You’ll recall that, a year ago, the Owls’ numbers for 2016-17 were a topic of conversation for their unconventionality, as owner Dejphon Chansiri tried to generate good fortune.
This time around, the squad is numbered thus:
- Keiren Westwood
- Jack Hunt
- David Jones
- Kieran Lee
- Morgan Fox
- Jordan Rhodes
- Steven Fletcher
- Barry Bannan
- Sam Winnall
- Glenn Loovens
- Gary Hooper
- Tom Lees
- Liam Palmer
- Atdhe Nuhiu
- Lucas Joao
- Marco Matias
- Adam Reach
- George Boyd
- Sam Hutchinson
- Cameron Dawson
- Joe Wildsmith
- Ross Wallace
- Jake Kean
- Daniel Pudil
- Almen Abdi
- Fernando Forestieri
Seeing as the average reader mightn’t be au fait with all of Wednesday’s squad, we’ll address things in bullet-point form, as we did last year:
- Goalkeeper Joe Wildsmith is still number two to Keiren Westwood but he’s not wearing the number 2 he did last season, he has moved back to 28, which he wore in 2015-16.
- The number 2 is now occupied by (shock!) right-back Jack Hunt, who had 32 for the past three seasons
- New defender Morgan Fox has taken 6
- Forward Jordan Rhodes moves from 17 to 7 (Alexis Sanchez tribute, perhaps?)
- Another attacker, Stephen Fletcher – who once moved from 9 to 26 at Sunderland – has had the good grace to switch from 6 to 9
- Left-back Adam Reach had 9 last year, but he will now wear 20
- Barry Bannan goes from 41 to 10
- Adthe Nuhiu takes the 17 that Rhodes vacated, having worn 44 in 2016-17
- The rest of the teens are the same, except that Lucas Joao reverses his move of last summer, moving from 19 back to 18
- Marco Matias goes from 21 to 19 as a result, allowing George Boyd to wear the 21 he had at Burnley
There are still a couple of bugbears though:
- Midfielders David Jones and Kieran Lee retain 3 and 5 respectively, despite 4 and 8 being free
- And Almen Abdi has switched from 7 to 41, despite never having worn it before.
Still though, a marked improvement.
Thank god Wildsmith is no longer number 2!